How Much Does it Cost to Remodel a Bathroom?
The average price to remodel a bathroom in Seattle – Tacoma area is $32500 and varies between $20000 and $45000.
Cost Analysis of Bathroom Remodeling
Before you consult a local bathroom remodeling contractor, first talk to everyone who will be using the space. Discuss the fittings and finishes you are to use and how much you are willing to set aside for the project. As you make budgeting plans, it is important to have a some extra, in case contingencies arise, leading to an increase in the cost.
Cogent Discussion in this Cost Analysis:
- Concept of Remodeling a Bathroom
- Ways to Cut Down your Bathroom Remodel Costs
- Bathroom Remodel Average Contractor Prices
- An estimate of Bathroom Remodel Costs
- Average Cost of Bathroom Remodeling Per Square Foot
- Highlight of a Complete Bathroom Remodel Cost
- Bathroom Remodeling Average Cost Based on Location
- Bathroom Renovation Costs
- Cost and Design Considerations to Renovate a Bathroom
- What is the Cost of Remodeling a Bathroom Yourself?
- Bathroom Remodel Contractor’s Work
- Remodeling Quote & Schedule Agreement
- Bathroom Remodeling on a Budget
- Bathroom Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration
The Concept of Remodeling a Bathroom:
A bathroom remodeling project is an investment, and you will want to be sure you are getting the best return for your money. It is an investment for your future, one in which you will be earning yourself a profit because you went through the process of redesigning and remodeling your bathroom.
When planning for bathroom remodeling, put aside between 15% and 20% of your budget to cover unexpected contingencies/expenses. Work with your family or team to set the right boundary for your budget and try to adhere to those boundaries.
Consult professional contractors who can offer a vision for your style and handle both installers and suppliers’ scheduling. It is also essential to look beyond the space of the bathroom. Think about the entire look of your house. What kind of layout would best match the design? Keep in mind that everything has to be matched for it to blend well with your home.
Once the renovation process begins, know that it could take from as little as a few weeks, up to 3 months. No matter how long it will take, make efforts to resist the temptation of changing your plans unless due to financial constraints. Changing your plans can create more hidden expenses by delaying contractors, purchasing new materials, and pushing your end date further and further.
If you have intentions of putting up your house for sale within five years from now, it is essential to ensure that your property’s value would increase beforehand. Consider renovating your house, not just the bath, for that purpose. In the same vein, if you plan to live in it for a lifetime, you must ensure the design of your bathroom is something you would love and it fits your style and preferences.
Ways to Cut Down your Bathroom Remodel Costs:
When planning a bathroom remodel, it is natural to crave luxurious materials you think you can’t live without. Still, reality may be a bit different, especially when you calculate the price for such perfection. You can still create a bathroom of your dreams as long as you know when it’s right to splurge and where it’s ok to scrimp. The following are a few ways to reduce the costs of bathroom remodeling:
- Carry out demolition by yourself; remove existing fittings.
- Visit recycling centers for fairly used building materials.
- Fix extra lights instead of adding expensive windows and skylights in the roof or on the side of your house.
- Make use of subway tile.
- Make use of paint or easy to install wainscot or faux breadboard, which is cheaper than tile.
Bathroom Remodel Average Contractor Prices
Remodeling a bathroom costs an average of $11,500, but many homeowners spend between $7,000 and $16,000. You can spend as low as $4,000 to $8000 to update the necessary aspects of your small sized bathroom. To remodel a larger bathroom, especially with luxurious bathing essentials, a budget of $27,000 or more may be needed. While on labor, 50% of the total cost is priced at $70 per hour. Also, bear in mind that prices differ based on location up to 25% where labor is concerned. Prices of materials seem to be uniform throughout the country, but look for the best deal for your money from various suppliers available.
For more inquiries on the prices of essentials needed for bathroom remodeling, including designs and agreements involving hiring a professional bathroom remodeling contractor, below is the necessary information. Bathtub to shower conversions is one of the most popular bath remodeling projects.
An estimate of Bathroom Remodel Costs
A budget of $3,000 to $30,000 is usually needed to perform a professional bathroom remodel. Remodeling the “master’s bathroom,” may require a budget of $55,000 for a luxurious remodel. Realistically, most homeowners spend no less than $7,500 to $17,000 to fix beat-up walls, breakages, and appliances.
During the execution of your remodel, labor costs are at an average of 40% to 65% of your total costs, which also tend to include basic material costs such as screws, nails, drywall, mortar, etc. Location is also a major factor which will determine the price range. Nevertheless, the prices of materials needed are not much different regardless of location. It may also mean that the higher the wages, the higher the cost of living and remodeling.
Making a bathroom remodel budget can be complicated; however, the following are to be considered:
- Size of the bathroom: The dimensions of the bath matter a lot.
- The difference in Regional Prices: You should make provisions in your cost analysis to pay up to 30% more if you live in areas where real estate prices are high.
- Materials Quality: For example, a quality-made fiberglass shower may only cost $300, while custom tile work will end up costing you $4,000 or more.
- Change of Floor Plan: To enlarge your bathroom or convert a half bathroom space to a full one incurs an additional cost of $6000 or more.
- Your choices of appliances, fixtures, and finishing: In your plan, ensure to include budget and design before you decide on materials to install for your bathroom remodeling.
Bathroom Remodel Material Prices
For the renovation of an average bathroom, the price ranges from $2500 to $10,000. If you understand this individual breakdown, it will guide you on where to spend most of your time and money.
|Bathroom Remodel Material Price List|
|Item||Range||Total Budget percentages|
|Fittings (toilets, sinks)||$250 – $1,900||15% – 25%|
|Ankastre shower faucet||$400 – $4,000||10% – 30%|
|Woody washbasin||$400 – $4,000||15% – 30%|
|Countertops cost||$300 – $1,100||5% – 12%|
|Lighting||$150 – $450||5% – 10%|
|Bathroom fan costs||$70 – $350||2% – 7%|
|Flooring||$250 – $1,400||10% – 18%|
|Entry doors and windows cost||$250 – $1,900||8% – 12%|
|Painting costs||$200 – $600||5% – 8%|
|Faucets and plumbing||$300 – $1,500||12% – 18%|
* Labor is excluded
Bathroom Remodel Labor Costs
The cost for labor in bathroom remodeling is at around $50 to $75 per-hour for most of the work, but plumbing labor costs tend to be at a higher rate. The labor cost in your bathroom remodeling budget should make up about 38% to 65% of the overall budget. Ensure to enquire for the actual price and invoice that stipulate prices for materials needed and labor.
Aside from the detailed price, it is necessary to have a general contractor and plumber who are skilled and specialize in kitchen and bathroom areas. Below is the breakdown of prices:
- General contractor rates: $350-$450 per day.
- Skilled plumber costs: $1,000-$2,200 ($100-$120 per hour).
- Non-plumbing labor: $4,500-$8,000.
- Interior design fees: $150-$500.
- Electrician fees: $70-$100 per hour.
- Drywall installation: $30-$60 per hour.
Cost of Demolishing a Bathroom
Demolishing bathroom interior budgets range from $1,000 to $2,500; it may be more expensive if you want to remove and move walls to create a new design. However, a knowledgeable DIYer would save costs by lending a helping hand to the contractor during the dismantling or do it by themselves. Nevertheless, demolition costs can be on the high side if you remove lots of walls, remove water pipes, or disconnect the electricity. It is risky and advisable to consult a licensed expert to handle such tasks.
Price of Custom-Built vs. Store-Bought Fittings & Accessories
|Fittings||Economy or Off-The-Shelf||High Standard or Custom-Built|
|Wall hung closet||$120 – $600||$1,500 – $6,000|
|Mask washbasin||$150 – $450||$800 – $4,000|
|Bathtub||$250 – $900||$1,300 – $6,000|
|Medicine Cabinet||$300 – $800||$1,400 – $6,300|
Plan your final budget for remodeling and strategize well to stay within budget to avoid incurring more costs/expenses.
Accessory Cost Totals:
Economy and off-the-shelf/lightly used: $600-$2,500
Luxury and custom: $5,000-$22,500+
Permits to Remodel a Bathroom
Building bathroom remodeling permits cost varies between $250 and $1,800. Price is location dependent, so contact your local building code enforcement or permitting agency for details. In some cases, your contractor takes care of all permitting and includes this in your project price.
Bath Remodeling Cost of Chinchilla vs. Handyman & Other Top Companies
|Brand||Typical Prices (materials + labor)||Rendered Services|
|Chinchilla||$6,000+||Complete bath remodel services|
|New life bath||$5,500+||Tub & shower surrounds|
|Bay Cities||$6,000-$17,000||Tub & shower surrounds|
|Beyond Designs||$7,000-$28,000+||Full bath renovation|
|Lowes||$6,000-$26,000+||Full bath renovation|
|Paul Davis||$5,500-$10,500||Tub & Shower systems|
Average Cost of Bathroom Remodeling Per Square Foot
You’ll pay an average of $125 per square foot for a bathroom remodeling. However, materials might lead to an increase or decrease in price. Luxury appliances and finishes can quickly double or triple your budget.
Average Bathroom renovation Costs
|Bathroom size (square foot)||Total Price|
|3×5 (15 feet bath cost)||$1800 – $2350|
|6×4 (24 feet bath cost)||$2600 – $3900|
|4×8 (32 feet bath cost)||$3400 – $5100|
|6×6 (36 feet bath cost)||$3800 – $5800|
|5×8 (40 feet bath cost)||$4400 – $6500|
|5×9 (45 feet bath cost)||$5100 – $7200|
|7×9 (63 feet bath cost)||$7000 – $9800|
|8×10 (80 feet bath cost)||$8600 – $14000|
|8×10 (80 feet bath cost)||$9800 – $16000|
Estimate of Master Bathroom Remodeling Costs
Master bath replacements cost around $10,700 to $25,900 and the average client can budget about $18,000 for a complete master bathroom renovation. This includes a separate tub, shower, double vanity, and larger space for cabinets and fittings.
When it comes to relocations of plumbing fixtures or changing the bathroom layout makes the most significant impact on bathroom remodeling costs because it is the primary focus of remodeling. Regardless of the size of the bathroom. Whenever you change the location or layout for a bathroom’s sinks, tub and toilet, that’s where your expenses are skyrocketing.
Small Size Bathroom Remodel
Small bathroom remodels cost $3,500 to $20,000. Simple finishing upgrades like paint, fixtures, and lights run from $1,000 to $3,500. A complete tear-out and replacement will set you back to the budget of $7,000 to $19,000.
Small bathrooms are often less expensive to renovate than large ones due to a smaller square footage. This implies fewer materials will be used to turn the space into a brand new condition and the job will be performed in less time.
Cost to Increase the size of a Bathroom
It may cost $5,000 to $20,000 or more to increase the size of your bathroom. The items needed in each unique space can cause a project budget variation. You’ll need to consider redirecting electrical and plumbing, adding structural headers, and adding insulation.
Redirecting electrical wiring costs: $800-$5,500.
Plumbing installation costs: $750-$4,000.
Structural engineer fees: $600-$1,500.
Drywall (damp proof) installation prices: $3,000-$8,500.
Framing costs: $700-$3,500.
Architect/Remodeling Contractor fees: $2,000-$3,000.
Bathroom Disability Remodeling Cost
Costs will range from $3,500 to $13,000 to change the bathroom structure for handicap accessibility for people with disabilities. Each upgrade is dependent on the circumstances. For instance, in one case, installing railings and doorway expansion may be needed. In another case, you might install a walk-in bathtub.
Highlight of a Complete Bathroom Remodel Cost
Bathroom Cabinet Costs
Bathroom cabinets cost $950 to $4,500 or more. Consider matching your kitchen and bath cabinetry when renovating one or both. For a low-cost method, try resurfacing, or refinishing them instead of buying new ones. Not only is it a part of the price, but most pros can match newly installed ones with existing boxes.
Refinishing cabinets costs $3,500-$6,000.
New kitchen cabinets cost $7,000-$18,000+.
Going by high standard taste, a large, walk-in shower has become the most desired feature of the master bathroom. You could add a soaking tub in there at the very high-end, but a walk-in shower seems to be in higher demand.
Shower faucet Remodel Costs.
Shower remodeling costs $1,800 to $20,000, depending on the level of materials and time. On the low end, you’ll find premade surrounds for a bathtub and shower combination, standard in many homes. For the luxury master bath, consider installing a separate shower and soaker tub separately. A walk-in shower remodel costs $5,000 to $15,000.
The economical choice is premade kits, which range anywhere from $500 to $9,000. Companies like Virony and Bath Fitter costs vary depending on the styles you choose. Most companies, including BRV Remodeling, offer free estimates.
Bathtub and Bidet Remodel Prices
The cost of a Bathtub remodel is between $4,000 to $9,500 and more. Many available options are ranging from cast iron to fiberglass. You can also refinish a tub using a service or a DIY kit, including the following:
Miracle method services cost $800-$1,250 for the tub or $2,000-$4,000 for the tub and surround. The price includes all materials and labor.
Rust-Oleum kits run as little as $55. These kits mimic the miracle method for DIYers.
Cost to Replace Bathroom Floor
You’ll spend anywhere from $300 to $3,100 replacing a bathroom floor. Custom luxury floor installations can reach $7,000, while floor installation pricing differs depending on what flooring materials you use. More about flooring and floor installation prices.
- Tile: $800-$4,500
- Linoleum: $300-$800
- Vinyl Plank: $350-$1,000
- Wood plank: $500-$2,500
Electrical & Plumbing Costs
You’ll spend anywhere from $100 to $1,000 or more refixing or installing new plumbing or electrical fittings. Any issues with your plumbing or electricity discovered during the renovation will increase the bill. While drawing up maintenance cost estimates for electric and plumbing work, check both electrical and plumbing factors before starting. However, you can’t plan for all issues that might arise during a renovation.
Including both labor and materials in plumbing or electrical upgrades, you are expected to spend the following:
- Cost of fixing the toilets: $300-$800.
- Costs of fixing sinks: $600-$900.
- Light fittings cost: $450-1,100.
- Cost of installing new plumbing fittings: $550-$1,300.
- New outlet installation costs: $250-$600.
- Water heater installation costs: $1,200-$2,500.
Vanities, Countertops & Cabinets
Bathroom vanities cost $700 to $5,500. However, luxury and custom work in large rooms can quickly exceed $15,000. For most projects, a vanity that includes both the counter and cabinet is used.
Bathroom Remodeling Average Cost Based on Location
Bathroom Renovation Costs
Bathroom repair costs run anywhere from $2,300 to $24,000 or more. Renovations and remodels differ significantly. Renovating, or rehabilitating, refers to the process of repairing something to make it like new again. It also means to restore to a good state of repair. That is to say, dilapidated buildings or poorly maintained buildings are sometimes considered to be in a state of disrepair. To renovate a building means to resurrect it from a state of disrepair. This includes fixing the damage, repainting, and resurfacing. Your fixtures and configurations stay as they are.
Remodeling: It generally involves replacing or upgrading to new fixtures, tubs, showers, and tiles. The price of replacing a bathroom depends heavily on the size and quality you want, but it’s more expensive than renovating.
The price of replacing a bathroom depends heavily on the size and quality you want, but it’s more expensive than renovating. Insurance sometimes pays for repair work, depending on the cause. Remodels are almost always out of pocket expenses entirely on the clients.
Cost and design considerations to Renovate a Bathroom
Bathrooms upgrade cost anywhere from $500 to $4,600. Typically, updating involves economic and straightforward changes done to gain dramatic results. Common upgrades include:
- We are painting afresh using a new coat of paint.
- Showerheads, fittings, and new faucets
- We are changing the cabinet hardware.
- Addition of a new sink.
- Doors and windows
- Wall and ceilings
- We are erecting new counters.
- We are placing additional wall shelves or artwork.
What is the cost of remodeling a Bathroom Yourself?
To remodel a bathroom yourself will cost you about $3,000 to $8,000. Anywhere from 45% to 70% of a bath upgrade cost comes from labor. Remodeling a bathroom yourself will drastically reduce the cost of doing it. However, there are risks involved in doing any project yourself, such as the absence of insurance and added fees if something goes wrong. It is best to hire a professional for any work you’re not comfortable doing, such as plumbing and electrical. Consider the pros and cons of DIY vs. professional bathroom remodeling.
Bathroom Remodel Contractor’s Work
Bathroom remodels provide 60% to 70% resale returns as a home improvement project. However, the cost of carrying out this project is considerable. It is essential to plan your remodeling ideas ahead of time. Then, hire a remodeling contractor for the job. Ask questions, set realistic expectations, get accurate cost estimates, and budgeting from the start. Also, spend time learning how to work with a bathroom contractor.
A remodel involves various areas of expertise: construction, plumbing, electrical, and lighting. Get value for your money. Avoid additional repairs and maintenance from their mistakes. Talk to your contractor at the start of the project about:
- How they deal with mistakes, damage, repairs, and general maintenance.
- If they offer an expressed warranty or guarantee, contract agreements
- If they have the technical know-how, which is any previous reference work that demonstrates their skill.
- Contract bidding method:How they bid the project, either by the hour, square foot or as a lump sum.
- Other fees or expenses that might be incurred during the work’s execution, such as mold removal inside walls.
Remodeling Quote & Schedule Agreement
As part of a quote and schedule agreement, experienced contractors give you:
- A written schedule: this should be documented.
- An itemized list of all materials, labor, permits, fees, and any other costs.
- Work breakdown structure:A list of the construction tasks they’ll perform and prices for each.
- Deadlines for each task.
- Agreements for penalties if deadlines aren’t met.
- This helps prevent disagreements and disputes during the execution of the contract. It also gives you clear expectations about how long the project should take to complete.
There are a few other things to bear in mind while doing bathroom remodeling:
Make sure everything is in writing. This includes a payment schedule, contract agreement, and contract with total amounts, guarantees, and warranties.
Avoid making advance payment: typically, don’t make payment for any work not yet started upfront. Adopt the interim payment method, that is, only pay for work completed. Often, you’ll pay for milestones reached, such as the halfway point of work. Conduct research on your contractor’s previous jobs:
- Always check licenses and previous work.
- Don’t just take the contractor’s word. Ensure they are financially buoyant.
- Look at reviews and talk to their previous clients.
Bathroom Remodeling on a Budget
Less Expensive Bathroom remodeling helps keep prices down and returns high. A few tips to help you save some money include:
- Carry out the demolition yourself. Getting out old tiles and tubs isn’t an easy task. Extra care is needed to avoid damaging pipes or electrical work. But it may save you about $2,000.
- You can also do your painting. Painting is a great project you can do by yourself. It takes a little skill for a professional finish, but it forgives if you make mistakes.
- Buy off-the-shelf fixtures in the clearance aisle. They might not be high end, but they’ll look new and help freshen up the overall look.
- Reinstall good sinks and toilets. Sinks and toilets can still be used if they are intact and not broken. Try reusing them instead of buying new ones.
- Refinishing tubs, counters, cabinets, and tile. You can cut costs in half by resurfacing, spraying, painting, polishing, etc., rather than buying anew.
- For a better resale profit, use custom tile. If it’s in your budget, put in a tile surround for the tub or shower and floor to increase the property’s value. You’ll get a better return on the investment, especially if you plan to sell.
Bathroom Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration
Before making plans to remodel a bathroom, ask yourself the following questions:
- Reason for remodeling: what is the cause of the remodeling job? Why do you want to remodel the bathroom?
- Is it to enhance its functions to the latest ones?
- To upgrade the style and color?
- For whom is it being remodeled? Who is going to use it: females, males, adults, or kids?
- How will it flow with the rest of the structure/house based on the style you choose?
- Does it fit your lifestyle? How you plan to design it reflects your aesthetic taste, personal needs, and lifestyle, and all of these impact your costs and price range for accessories.
- Maybe you live a fast-paced lifestyle where you never have time for more than a quick shower in the morning.
- Perhaps you love a long-lasting, leisurely, relaxing soak in a jetted tub at night or any time of the day.
- Ask yourself if the design style should be classic or contemporary, mid-century modern or Bohemian chic.
Before you begin your bath remodel, determine your design styles. Then approach your contractor with the many examples of your design styles or remodel ideas, including pictures from interior decoration magazines, links to design ideas on the internet, and paint chips from the hardware store. The more detailed information a contractor has ahead of time, the more your bath remodel ideas will turn out exactly how you want it.
FAQ. Bathroom Remodeling Questions Answered
Q: What is the cost of carrying out a professional bathroom remodeling?
A: Doing a professional bathroom remodeling will cost anywhere from $7,000 to $18,000. It typically involves installing a new shower faucet, toilet, wash-hand sink, mirrors, cabinet vanity, and other fittings.
Q: What is the cost of dismantling a bathroom for remodeling?
A: It will cost you $1,000 to $2,000 to completely remove old fixtures or demolish bathroom walls where necessary.
Q: What is the cost of remodeling a high quality (expensive) bathroom?
A: High-quality bathroom remodels very expressively, and the cost ranges from $15,000 to $25,000 or more.
Q: What is the cost of remodeling a private bathroom?
A: Redoing a private bathroom falls within the typical range of $7,500 to $16,000. Make sure you confirm from your Homeowners Association (HOA) before making any changes.
Q: What is the cost of carrying out maintenance repair of shower room?
A: To repair a shower room costs $4500 to $10,000, depending on the level and type of damage. For example, repainting might only cost $600 while replacing a Bathtub and surround can amount to $7,500.
Q: What is the cost of refinishing/retiling a bathroom?
A: Retiling a bathroom shower costs $250 to $750 per square foot. Expect to pay the same for floors and backsplashes. Decorations and artistic work, such as mosaics in your surroundings, can run as high as $1000 per square foot.
Q: What is the cost of renovating a mobile structure bathroom?
A: A mobile structure bathroom renovation typically comes in at $4,000 to $9,000. However, your design and budget are the only factors that can determine the cost.
In this article, you have shared with us the various costs for remodeling a bathroom. I was thinking of remodeling my bathroom when I came across your article and I thanks to your article. I now know what changes I would like to make to my bathroom and the cost of my entire bathroom remodel. Thank you for sharing this article with us.
You are welcome, Emma. Thank you for your feedback.
Great post! Thanks for sharing this.. The cost of remodeling a bathroom can vary widely depending on a number of factors, such as the size of the bathroom, the scope of the project, and the materials and fixtures chosen. On average, a bathroom remodel can cost anywhere from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. A basic remodel that involves replacing fixtures, painting, and updating lighting can be done for a few thousand dollars, while a more extensive remodel that involves structural changes, moving plumbing, or installing high-end materials and fixtures can cost tens of thousands of dollars. It’s important to establish a realistic budget and work with a reputable contractor to ensure that the project stays on track and within budget. By carefully considering your needs and priorities, choosing cost-effective materials and fixtures, and working with a qualified professional, you can achieve a beautiful and functional bathroom remodel that meets your needs and exceeds your expectations.