How much does it cost to install a new floor?
The average price in Seattle – Tacoma area varies between $5000 and $18000, and depends on a project scope, materials, and labor.
On this page:
- Flooring installation cost in Washington, Seattle – Tacoma area
- New Floor Material Cost Comparison
- Price range of other types of flooring
- Flooring Labor Rates
- Flooring cost estimator
- Know about the average cost to replace the flooring
- Cost of replacing the carpet with laminate, hardwood, or tiles
- Kitchen and Bathroom Flooring replacement cost
- Cost to replace tiles with laminate or hardwood
- Cost of re-flooring a house
- Floor renovation and remodeling cost
- Cost of DIY flooring vs hiring a professional flooring contractor
- Flooring installation FAQs
- How much does it cost to install a floor in a new construction?
- What is the cost of installing a dance floor?
- How much is laminate flooring installation comparing to tile?
- Which is cheaper? – Vinyl or carpet?
- What is the cost to install 1000 square feet of hardwood floors?
- How much does BRV Remodeling Inc charge to install flooring?
Flooring installation cost in Washington, Seattle – Tacoma area
Improving your home can often be a difficult task, but we are here to help you get started. Flooring of a home can truly reflect on the entire home quality, so it is not a good idea to ignore it. Many of our customers notice a major difference in the general look of their home, after flooring replacement is performed by our qualified installers. But flooring installation is certainly not as easy as one might think. That is, because several details would require professional expertise.
Benefits of installing a new floor
There are many advantages of installing a new floor. To find out more, you can go through the points mentioned below:
- New flooring installation increases the resale value of your home. It is all the more beneficial to get it done if you are planning to sell your house soon.
- New, high quality flooring can provide a new look, liveliness and positivity in your home. It is one the things you can do to freshen up the atmosphere and ignore most other factors, along with their costs. Unless of course, a home renovation is long overdue.
- If the old floor was damaged, installing a new floor will improve the overall functionality of the house. You can also avoid some minor nuisances that you have been dealing with for years.
- Removing the carpet and replacing it with hardwood flooring or tiles, may bring certain health benefits.
- New flooring also improves overall efficiency. You are likely to spend less on heating or cooling your home with newly engineered floors.
Total cost of flooring installation per square foot
The total cost to install flooring is between $4 and $23 per square foot. The cost would depend on the materials used. If you decide to cover 500 square feet of flooring, the cost would come to somewhere between $2000 and $6000 and the average price would be around $3000.
The labor cost per square foot is around $3 to $12. This depends on the contractor you hire and the scope of the project.
Total cost of flooring installation including materials
|Type of flooring||Average cost per square foot|
|Carpet floor pricing||$4 – $11.5|
|Linoleum floor installation (requires pro installation)||$3.5 – $5.5|
|Vinyl floor installation with materials (DIY friendly)||$3 – $9|
|Laminate flooring installation pricing varies between:||$3.5 – $11|
|Hardwood flooring cost||$5 – $23|
|Ceramic or porcelain tile floor installation total cost||$7 – $21|
The average cost to install floor per project
New Floor Material Cost Comparison
The price of flooring material varies between $1 and $16 per square foot. It varies from one product to another. If you use high-end wool carpet, exotic wood, or specialty tile, then those would be more costly in comparison to the laminate or vinyl.
If you want to install hardwood floorboards, then the cost per 1000 square feet would be around $6500 to $22500. It has been observed that most of the projects of this size are priced at around $8000. For this, the cost of the materials vary between $3500 to $14500. There are different types of floorings available. These include engineered wood flooring, parquet, and various other species of wood from which you can choose.
Pros of Hardwood Floorboards
- Can be made into beautiful craftwork and its popularity lies in its designs.
- You can refresh it many times for refinishing.
- It neither attracts nor retains microbes and dirt.
- It provides you with a great return for your investment.
Cons of Hardwood Floorboards
- Water and humidity can damage this type of flooring.
- This can become creaky over time.
- It must be leveled to prevent popping and bending.
The laminate installation cost for a 1000 square feet area is around $5000. The cost of materials varies between $800 to $2200. The design can be selected to match wood, tile, or even stone. It is favored due to its relatively low price tag.
Pros of Laminate Flooring
- This type of flooring is quite durable and comes with warranties.
- This is low maintenance.
- You can install it on the existing floor.
- Lowest priced type of flooring.
Cons of Laminate Flooring
- Close to none resale value.
- You can neither refinish it nor sand it. Only way to fix it is to replace upon damage.
- There are certain varieties available that may be quite slippery.
Vinyl and Linoleum
The price of vinyl and linoleum floor installation for 1000 square feet lies between $2500 to $7000. The cost of the materials is $500 to $5000. Make sure that vinyl installation is done on a prepared flat surface. Although many vinyl flooring manufacturers provide lifetime warranty for residential projects, vinyl flooring should be replaced once every three years to maintain freshness.
Pros of Vinyl and Linoleum
- Affordable price.
- Available in a variety of different colors and patterns.
- Provides a soft feel.
- Generally has low maintenance.
Cons of Vinyl and Linoleum
- This is not an eco-friendly option.
- Without proper maintenance it will show wear and tear.
- It can gouge easily in comparison to the other harder materials.
Porcelain & Ceramic Tile Floor
The cost of installing a tile floor vary greatly. The average cost is $7 to $21 per square foot, give or take. Thus, to cover 1000 square feet, the cost would be from $7000 to nearly $21000. For material only, one may end up paying between $3 and $16 per square foot. There is custom or specialty tile available, which will surely cost much higher than the standard tile available in your local stores.
Pros of Tile Floors
- Tiles are quite durable and easy to maintain.
- Works very well with radiant floor heating installations.
- They are also water-resistant.
Cons of Tile Floors
- Tile installation is a difficult and costly process.
- When wet, tile floor can be slippery.
- If heavy objects fall on the tiles, they could break.
- Tile is costly in terms of both labor and material, labor cost tends to scale according to the price of tile you use.
Wood Tile Flooring Cost
The cost of wood tile flooring tends to be between $0.60 to $5.5 per square foot. To cover an area of 1000 square feet, you are likely to pay between $600 to $7000.
Pros of Wood Tile Flooring
- Looks similar to hardwood flooring and is less expensive.
- It is waterproof and does not warp.
- Cleaning is quite easy.
- Lasting and durable.
Cons of Wood Tile Flooring
- When wet, it becomes slippery.
- The resale value for this is much less in comparison to the wood floors.
- Cannot be refinished.
- Despite its durability, it may break upon impact with heavy objects. In that case, it must be partially replaced.
If you want to install carpeting in a 1000 square foot room, the cost runs from $3600 to $11,100. Material may cost around $2.50 – $7.50. There are builder grade olefin and polyester materials available. These are much less expensive in comparison to the high-end wool or custom carpets.
Pros of Carpeting
- Provides great insulation.
- Helps with noise reduction.
- Fairly low maintenance. Should be vacuumed regularly, and washed with shampoo at least once a year.
Cons of Carpeting
- Traps moisture, often leading to mildew and mold.
- The allergens, dust, and insects can get trapped in the carpet.
- Stains and smells stay on the carpet for a long period of time.
Price range of other types of flooring
Here are the details of the less common flooring types and the average material cost per square foot.
|Type of Flooring||Average material cost per square foot|
|Polished concrete||$2.5 – $8.5|
Flooring Labor Rates
Several factors must be taken into consideration when you calculate the rate of the laborers for the different projects of flooring. If you want to know about the various labor cost factors, go through the points mentioned below:
- Type of flooring material being used.
- Difficulty level of the flooring project.
- Sales tax or import fees of the various floor materials.
- Distance to the job site.
- Amount of time required for preparation and floor demolition.
- Cost of baseboard and subfloor when required.
- Whether the existing floor needs be removed prior to start.
- Testing and providing solutions for the hazardous flooring materials used.
Flooring cost estimator
Here is a breakdown of the approximate estimated flooring installation costs.
|Square Footage||Total cost of installing floor|
|< 50 sq. feet||$350 – $1500|
|Up to 100 sq. feet||$450 – $1900|
|~1000 sq. feet||$3100 – $22000|
|~2000 sq. feet||$5500 – $40000|
|~ 3000 sq. feet||$8100 – $60000|
Know about the average cost to replace the flooring
To replace the flooring, you might expect to pay somewhere between $7.50 and $29 per square foot. The cost for the disposal of and the tear of materials varies between $2.50 to $4.50 per square foot. Replacing the floor involves removal of the old floors, disposal of the old materials, preparation for the new floors, and finally, installation of the new material. Also remember, that square footage pricing will be higher if you just need to install floor in a tiny small area. It might take only one to two hours for professional to install the floor, but you will be charged traveling fee.
Cost of replacing the carpet with laminate, hardwood, or tiles
The cost to remove the carpets varies between $1.50 to $2 per square foot. If you want to get the carpet replaced with hardwood, tiles, or laminate, then the cost would be between $4.50 to $24. If it is necessary to install a new subfloor and baseboards, then the cost will be higher.
Kitchen and Bathroom Flooring replacement cost
For tears, dents and scratches, the cost varies between $8.50 and $24.50 per square foot of flooring. Make sure that you get it replaced with water-resistant tiles. If you want to replace the floor of a 100 square foot bathroom, you will have to pay somewhere between $800 and $2400 to just get a replacement.
Cost to replace tiles with laminate or hardwood
If you want to replace tiles with hardwood or laminate, then the cost would be $9.50 – $31 per square foot. This cost could include the demolition of the old tiles and the disposal of the material. Apart from that, it also includes prepping the surface and installing a new floor. If there is any extensive damage caused to the floor, then the price can certainly go up. Laminate flooring is much less expensive in comparison to hardwood flooring.
Cost of re-flooring a house
The cost to redo an average 1000 square foot floor area is $7100 – $28600. This price includes cost of demolition, disposal of the old flooring, and installation of the new flooring. This includes the cost of baseboards or new subfloor, purchasing materials and delivery. But each project is different from the other. Therefore, it is important that you contact a professional, and schedule a flooring estimate to find out what the actual cost of your project will be.
Floor renovation and remodeling cost
The prices of renovating the floor vary with each project. If you need your wood floors refinished, the cost will oscillate between $2 and $4.50 per square foot. To replace the floor cover, the cost varies somewhere between $7.50 to $29 per square foot. This is because, you may also need to add the cost of the new sub floors, debris removal and disposal, materials required for installation, and the base boards.
Cost of DIY flooring vs hiring a professional flooring contractor
The DIY installation cost varies somewhere between $1 and $16 per square foot. These include the cost of the material assuming that the surface where this is to be installed is already prepped and ready to go. The cost of hiring a professional varies between $3.50 and $22.50 per square foot. This includes both the cost of materials and labor. If you want to get a more accurate estimate, you should collect the details of the flooring quotes from more than one professional.
There are several benefits to hire a professional floor installer. See the information below:
Peace of mind
This is one of the major reasons why you should hire a professional for floor installation. You need a lot of concentration and focus when installing a floor. You will have to decide on the amount of money that you will be able to spend on the whole project, which can be stressful. If you are hiring a professional, you will be able to free yourself from all the stress that you might have to take care of, if you are trying to do it yourself.
Protects the investment
Flooring installation is quite a huge investment. This is because it will increase the overall property value. This is important for all people in the real estate business.
It ensures quality
Flooring installations performed by professionals is of high quality. The professional flooring installers are experts in their field. They can perform their work efficiently and effectively, delivering high-quality results. Such installations also have minimal issues at a later stage. And if they do arise within your contractor’s coverage policy, the contractor will take care of them. BRV Remodeling Inc especially values your absolute satisfaction! Call now: (253)317-9445 for free estimate.
How much does it cost to install a floor in a new construction?
The cost of installing a new subfloor and the floorboards for a new construction varies somewhere between $7600 to $36800. This is the cost to install 1500 square feet of flooring. The average cost of a sub-floor is $2.50 – $3 per square foot. The floorboards cost per linear foot is $3.50 – $22.50. This includes the cost of the materials with the installation costs.
What is the cost of installing a dance floor?
If you want to install rubber flooring on the dance floor, then the cost varies somewhere between $850 to $1550. This is the cost to install the flooring of a 12×12, 144 square foot room. The installation cost for each square foot is around $2.50.
Is laminate more expensive than tile?
No, laminate flooring is always less expensive in comparison to the tiles. Stone, tile, and real wood are the more costly materials. Installation labor price for these materials is also more costly. However, the wood, laminate, and stone floors are durable. Thus, they are often used in areas where there is high traffic.
Which is cheaper? – Vinyl or carpet?
The labor cost of laying down carpet is much lesser than that of vinyl. The cost of installing a carpet varies somewhere between $1 and $1.50 per square foot. The cost of vinyl per square foot is around $9. That includes the subfloor preparation and installation labor.
What is the cost to install 1000 square feet of hardwood floors?
The average price to install a 1000 square foot hardwood floor is around $8500. If you are, however, using exotic woods, then it tends to be more expensive in comparison to the domestic varieties. Therefore, if you are installing exotic woods, then the cost would be much higher.
How much does BRV Remodeling Inc charge to install flooring?
“Here at BRV Remodeling Inc, the charges vary between as little as $3 per square foot for carpet and laminate, to as much as $18 per square foot of tile, stone, or hardwood. The exact cost would depend on the type of flooring you will install, the grade of material you will use, and whether any custom cuts are required. Higher grade, expensive material requires more intensive care during labor. However, the extra time and fees it takes us to perform the work, will be used wisely to guarantee your highest possible satisfaction with the result. Call us now at (253) 317-9445 to schedule a free estimate for your flooring installation. Or simply click the button below to request online estimate for free.
Leave A Comment